Airbnb - Review about Room Booking from Montebello, California

Am I the only person who received this 28% tax withholding fee for not filling out a w9 form that wasn't in the check list to be filled out in the first place?

March 2015 I did my first hosting as a airbnb representative in Los Angeles.

I went out of my way to provide a great room for my guest whom is great and I'm happy with. However Airbnb decided to charge me $225 for not filing out a form that I had no idea existed in the first place!!!! When I called their customer service department, they explained that the fee is an "irs" tax withholding and they could not refund the $225 taking from me when I rented the room. I said to the customer service rep, how could this be legal when you never informed to complete this form?

They have a check list of things to complete that dies not include this form which has now cost me a third of what I'm renting the room for!!!!!!! His response was that he understood my grievance and would try to remedy a notification about the form but could do nothing to refund me. I'm so pissed and I feel completely cheated. See the attached receipt...

Has anyone else encountered this fee? Or am I the only one who has been robbed by airbnb with no consequence. The rep even suggested I ask my guest for more money by offering breakfast. Gtfoh!!!

I would have been much better off using Craigslist to get a renter.

Which I have had great experiences with.This is highway robbery and I will NEVER recommend or use this service again once my guest departs!!!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Room Booking
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #604707

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Airbnb? Submit review ›
Helpful? 2 Yes 2 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 13, 2015 #1006767

Hi there, I was a host, too. Airbnb did ask me to fill in the tax form. It's hanging on the 'Dashboard' page until we take action. I never did as my tax situation is complex, so I opt to take out my listing instead.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Airbnb. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Airbnb.
Filing a new complaint about