Never using Airbnb again

I rented an apartment in Medellin, Colombia 2 months ago. I have been in contact with the owner of the apartment and Airbnb numerous times, each blaming the other, neither taking responsibility.

With the owner's House Rules he clearly states (copy and paste):

There is a Refundable Security Deposit of 100 dollar in cash, when you receive the keys. This deposit is additional to the Airbnb deposit of 100 dollars, so it is 200 dollars in total of Refundable Security Deposit.

The problem is that Airbnb no longer hold a security deposit. I wasn't made aware of this until after I tried to get the refund.

I rented the apartment believing the cost to be AUD$1146, I naturally assumed this included the refundable deposit of $100 as this was the total amount debited on my card. I was made aware the key deposit of $100 would be paid in cash and returned accordingly upon departure.

When I asked the owner for the $100 deposit he said it's up to Airbnb to provide. When I spoke to Airbnb that stated the owner was incorrect, they no longer hold a deposit. The customer rep said "I will be reaching out to your host to let him know that our Security Deposit policy has changed so that no one else will receive this misleading information".

Almost 2 months later, numerous emails and the same message still shows on his House Rules. Airbnb are doing nothing about it. They are allowing their clients to mislead and deceive.

So now I'm $100 out of pocket because of an owner that doesn't know Airbnb's policies; or just refuses to follow and a company that's unregulated and basically does whatever they like.

Never again.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Nonrefundable Security Deposit
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #547603 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Airbnb? Submit review ›
Helpful? 5 Yes 5 0 No 0
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 07 #1140943

if you used your credit card for this additional fee call them and they will help you to get your $$ back.

Apr 15, 2015 #972376 Medell, Antioquia

Muchas gracias por la información para tenerlo en cuenta *** los viajeros que vienen por acá.

Jan 05, 2015 #925853 Medellin, Antioquia

Yes, they are in the business of *** you.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Airbnb. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Airbnb.
Filing a new complaint about