I rented an apartment in Medellin, Colombia 2 months ago. I have been in contact with the owner of the apartment and Airbnb numerous times, each blaming the other, neither taking responsibility.
With the owner's House Rules he clearly states (copy and paste):
There is a Refundable Security Deposit of 100 dollar in cash, when you receive the keys. This deposit is additional to the Airbnb deposit of 100 dollars, so it is 200 dollars in total of Refundable Security Deposit.
The problem is that Airbnb no longer hold a security deposit. I wasn't made aware of this until after I tried to get the refund.
I rented the apartment believing the cost to be AUD$1146, I naturally assumed this included the refundable deposit of $100 as this was the total amount debited on my card. I was made aware the key deposit of $100 would be paid in cash and returned accordingly upon departure.
When I asked the owner for the $100 deposit he said it's up to Airbnb to provide. When I spoke to Airbnb that stated the owner was incorrect, they no longer hold a deposit. The customer rep said "I will be reaching out to your host to let him know that our Security Deposit policy has changed so that no one else will receive this misleading information".
Almost 2 months later, numerous emails and the same message still shows on his House Rules. Airbnb are doing nothing about it. They are allowing their clients to mislead and deceive.
So now I'm $100 out of pocket because of an owner that doesn't know Airbnb's policies; or just refuses to follow and a company that's unregulated and basically does whatever they like.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Nonrefundable Security Deposit
- Review category
- Travel Agencies
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I had a guest who first said she was “uncomfortable” then changed it to she “feared for her personal safety”.”She ended up saying she was about to have a panic..."
- "We recently booked, and got confirmation back from AirBnB about a place we were planning to stay in Dunedin, Florida. The $1,606 in fees were immediately charged to our debit..."
- " It is very difficult to find a short term rental house in Southern California. I was working with a local So Cal realtor to help us find a..."
- "I saw B-Precious advertised for what looked like a great deal. A mini session with a few images for $50. The old saying Cheap is what cheap gets is so..."
- "The alt-katolische Spitalkirche is one of the oldest Christian churches in Baden-Baden. It was first mentioned on the Spital legal instruments on March 1351. It was not far from the..."
- "Since FIFA 15 Coins are not real currency, they have to be purchased online. Due to its virtual utility, it cannot be earned like the real currency. There are several..."
- "Clara Castrillon runs Apartamentos Amoblados based in Medellin, Colombia ith her boyfriend Julian Moncada. BEWARE - she takes most calls and falsely advertises their apartments with this unregistered, unlicensed company that..."
- "This "company" Apartamentos Amoblados Julian based in Medellin, Colombia, is a complete scam. They are unlicensed and in violation of local tourism laws. If they are caught while you..."