My nightmare with Airbnb started with a horrible event but really escalated when I tried to complain about it.

163 of 531 Airbnb reviews

I booked an airbnb to go to my friend's wedding in Ukiah. The reviews seemed good, it was an older lady, so I thought harmless. The nightmare started shortly after I got there. After I arrived, I introduced myself to her, she happened to be home with her friend. Then, after getting ready for my friend's event, I went to go ask her directions to the winery where it was at. While I was getting directions from her, she said that I looked very nice and told me to have fun. As I walked away, she grabbed my butt with a full hand and I was wearing a thin dress so it was very direct contact. I was in utter shock when it happened and didn't know how to react. 1) it was an old lady, 2) all my things were still there and it was her home, I didn't know if my reaction was going to instigate something. I was in a hurry and tried to run out but it was raining when I got out and I came back to get an umbrella from her, still not knowing how to react when that happened.

When I got to the event I was in such a shock, I told my friends there and then I told some friends online and people were telling me to get out of there as soon as possible. That's when it sunk in what had happened. I tried to call AirBNB's emergency line which my friends told me about but I was constantly put on hold and once I got through to someone and told them what happened they just said "can I put you on a long hold" and after 10 minutes already went by I had to hang up. I went back with a friend because I didn't feel safe going back alone to pack up my belongings at night and checked into a hotel at midnight. I finally got in touch with someone in the morning and told them about what happened, they said something to the effect that this doesn't happen every often. They said they'd refer the matter to someone and get back to me. I didn't hear from anyone and I had already contacted multiple people.

I also went to make a police report before I left. The police were pretty horrible in Ukiah. The officer was really combative and:

1) asked me if I did anything to bring this upon myself

2) actually went to the host's house and asked her if she did it and then came back and told me, she said she didn't do it

3) told me I was combative and referred me to his supervisor

I tried to make a report, I don't think anything happened and the experience of making the police report was one of the worst things I have gone through. I realize this is why so many sexual assaults go unreported.

A couple of days later they emailed me to put a review for my host on Airbnb. I was shocked. I wrote a tirade of what happened to me. Finally someone replied to me and I attached a screenshot of the reply to this review. Really repulsive. Thanks for allowing me to cancel when I didn't stay there and doing nothing else in the air of customer service besides continuing to aggravate me after I was assaulted.

The host's profile is still on Airbnb, my review is nowhere to be found. This is very very disturbing because it looks like profiles on airbnb are curated, leaving guests in complete danger. It's EXTREMELY concerning that AirBNB does not take these allegations seriously and it only concerned with making money, no matter the price, even putting people in danger. I hope this company eventually gets shut down (which it will).

Here's the host's profile:

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #840061

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Airbnb? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
163 of 531 Airbnb reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 10 #1156978

I have known this wonderful woman for 30 years. Mary is kind, generous, and spiritual. Our kids grew up together, and I so admired her patience and understanding with them. She is completely non-judgemental and accepting of everyone she meets. She is my hero, and I just can't stand by and let someone badmouth her, Airbnb, and the Ukiah Police Department without questioning the fact that some people just need drama to survive. When you are critical of everything, you just might be that person.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Airbnb. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Airbnb.
Filing a new complaint about
×