Verified Reviewer

I made a booking on Airbnb for Nov 7 - 13 for 3 people in Brooklyn worth 855.88$. The purpose was for my father, who underwent major surgery at Mt Sinai Hospital in New York just two days before, to recover and spent his post operative time.

We checked in to the listing at 2pm. We soon found that there were no duvets in the apartment, and my father was really cold and shivering. Additionally their bed height was really high and my father was in pain getting on and off the bed (he was catheterised and needed to relieve himself every 3-4 hours). So we informed the host, after 2 hours of checking in that we were not comfortable in this apartment and asked if there was a way that we could vacate early and they refund our booking amount.

At the same time we also called Airbnb support to inform them of this situation and ask what our options were. We clearly informed them that we wanted to know if we would get a refund if we vacated. Soon after, the host asked us to vacate the property, at the same time stating that they would only like to communicate via airbnb from here on. So at 6:44pm, less than 5 hours after checking in, we vacated the apartment, made a new booking on Airbnb and checked in there at 7:30pm (all of this can be verified via Airbnb app).

Almost 2 hours we left this apartment, because the host asked us to, we received a notice from Airbnb support stating that the host was not in violation of the terms since the listing didnot mention availability of duvets so we wouldn't receive a refund on cancellation.

At this point, I explained to the case manager that we had already left the apartment since the host asked us to and made a new booking, because my dad was in extreme pain and needed a place to rest.

The case manager said he would work with the host to get the booking amended and a refund issued. After that I called and messaged Airbnb multiple times to check the status of this booking and refund. Lance, the case manager was very unresponsive, and at one time even claimed that he was waiting for the host to confirm we had left the listing (this was after two days of us already vacating the listing).

Finally on November 12, a day before the reservation was to end, I got message back saying the host had declined to change the booking and we couldn't get a refund back and the case was closed.

At this point, we have had to double pay for these nights (the original booking and the new booking that we moved to after the host asked us to vacate), pay 2x service fees to Airbnb, move our luggage twice and my father had to suffer and move around just 2 days after a 4 hr operation). We deserve a full refund of our booking amount.

User's recommendation: The service and resolution center is really poor!

Product or Service Mentioned: Airbnb Property Booking.

Airbnb Pros: Choices of properties, Search filters.

Airbnb Cons: Customer service nightmare, Refund policy.

Comments