Our Unsafe Experience with Fernanda & Family in ‘Modern 5-star Apartment’ in Camden

If you are planning to stay with Fernanda & Family via AirBnB, please read this till the end.

AirBnB was initially very supportive and processed my full refund BUT denied me the privilege of sharing my full story because I had initially mentioned the company who was managing the key collection. They did not ask that I remove the name of the company, but they removed my entire review as below!

Your rights to share your experience on AirBnB is very limited. Know your rights and be careful.

____________________________________________________________________________

We felt cheated staying with Fernanda and Family. The whole set-up seems like a scam.

Key collection area was unwelcoming - there was a notice to say that it was under construction. A man came up from the basement. No hello, no explanation and zero hospitality and handed a set of key to us. At this point, it all felt like a scam; and we were worried.

Apartment Entrance: As we entered the building, there were trucks with graffiti parked on the roads. Didn't give a welcoming feel for a place that is described as Modern 5-Star Apartment. It also claimed to be family-friendly.

There was a homeless man sleeping at the entrance to the building; blocking our path to use the ramp (we have a baby stroller)

Foot steps and dirt all across the common areas and entrance. This was our first impression of the place. Which we paid Premium price for AED805 per night (167 pounds)

Alcohol cans and rubbish at the entrance. Shelter to homeless (sleep during the days, take drugs and drink alcohol during the nights)

The Apartment: Although it was serviced, it was not clean (as a 5-Star Modern Apartment). We were also charged AED200 for cleaning fee (42 pounds). This was what we found as we walked in:

Pubic hair in the bathroom

Hair in the corners of the whole apartment

Mould on curtains and edges

Salt built up in the kettle - not washable even after I tried. I needed a kettle as I was traveling with young children.

Safety

1) We decided to come home before dark as the area felt unsafe. When we came home at 7pm, there was another homeless guy sleeping at the walkway. We decided to order food to be delivered to the apartment. We felt trapped as the walkway and building entrance was not suitable for our needs and always blocked by homeless people. Our delivery guy had informed us that our food was snatched by one of the homeless who on either {{Redacted}}. That was when we decided to look for an alternative accommodation for the remaining of our stay.

2) Our apartment door was opened from the outside in the morning WHILE we were still there. When my husband enquired she said she didn't speak English (Spanish speaker). We decided to check-out after our first night there as we were concerned about our safety.

3)This is not suitable for family. It is not a MODERN 5-Star Apartment if the entrance is a home for homeless.

•The shower and bathroom was 2-star

•The cleanliness is zero star

•Both beds were sofa beds (not one bed and one sofa bed as claimed)

•Very poor amenities

•Unsafe area for families

The Host

She didn't meet me or call me even once although I called the emergency number. She only communicated using the AirBnB messaging and response was slow. Didn't provide any hospitality or assurance what-so-ever.

She claimed to have visited the apartment to take pictures on the cleanliness BUT didn't even have the courtesy to come up to check on us. She also said she lives around Camden!!! It felt like the reason why she visited the apartment was to take pictures AFTER she has cleaned the entrance and walkway to defend herself. Very disappointing. We didn't want to ruin our holiday and left. I lodge an official complain to AirBnB and Fernanda and she only wanted to give us a 20% refund despite us moving our after one night!!!

I logged a safety complain with AirBnB and the case manager worked on my case and I have received my refund. However they have now removed my honest review of this case and all pictures that I have shared. AirBnB have stripped my rights as a guest who wants to share her poor experience to others.

Product or Service Mentioned: Airbnb Apartment Rental.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Preferred solution: Leave my review on my host to warn others.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 12.

Comments