Am I the only person who received this 28% tax withholding fee for not filling out a w9 form that wasn't in the check list to be filled out in the first place?

March 2015 I did my first hosting as a airbnb representative in Los Angeles.

I went out of my way to provide a great room for my guest whom is great and I'm happy with. However Airbnb decided to charge me $225 for not filing out a form that I had no idea existed in the first place!!!! When I called their customer service department, they explained that the fee is an "irs" tax withholding and they could not refund the $225 taking from me when I rented the room. I said to the customer service rep, how could this be legal when you never informed to complete this form?

They have a check list of things to complete that dies not include this form which has now cost me a third of what I'm renting the room for!!!!!!! His response was that he understood my grievance and would try to remedy a notification about the form but could do nothing to refund me. I'm so pissed and I feel completely cheated. See the attached receipt...

Has anyone else encountered this fee? Or am I the only one who has been robbed by airbnb with no consequence. The rep even suggested I ask my guest for more money by offering breakfast. Gtfoh!!!

I would have been much better off using Craigslist to get a renter.

Which I have had great experiences with.This is highway robbery and I will NEVER recommend or use this service again once my guest departs!!!!!

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss problems with payment of room booking. Airbnb needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned room booking in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Airbnb.

Had an Experience with Airbnb?

Comments

Hi there, I was a host, too.Airbnb did ask me to fill in the tax form.

It's hanging on the 'Dashboard' page until we take action.I never did as my tax situation is complex, so I opt to take out my listing instead.