I am a foreign student studying in Canada and used Airbnb for my 1 month holiday to USA, switching from one accommodation to another during the process. The host and the listings were fine in general, but Airbnb DOES NOT HAVE A COMPREHENSIVE MONEY REFUND SYSTEM.
During the trip, I had 2 bookings that were cancelled by the host, totaling up a refund of about $600. The cancellations were made early and did not cause me much inconvenience. However, the issue is that I had just finished my studies and closed my Canadian account before leaving for USA, hence the refund was made to a closed account. I thought that this is a small issue, since all Airbnb has to do is to retrieve the cash and transfer it to an alternative bank account. But how wrong can I be!
1. AIRBNB HAVE NO WAY OF RETRIEVING CASH THAT IS BOUNCED BACK TO THEM.The standard procedure for cash refund in Airbnb is this: "Your money can only be refunded to the account you used for the booking. Your bank will issue you a cheque if your account is closed." So No, you cannot refund your money to an alternative account that you didn’t use to make your original payment. And No, the bank does not always issue you a cheque. I have made numerous calls to the bank and found out that my bank’s policy on closed account is to bounced the money back to its source, and Airbnb has no way of retrieving this amount.
2. AIRBNB PROVIDES NO WAY OF COMMUNICATING WITH THE PEOPLE WHO DEALS WITH MONETARY TRANSFER/TRANSACTIONS.
The people in Airbnb customer service center knows very little about where your money flows to. All they know and can do is to give you standard replies to standard questions. When questioned about what happens to the money that gets bounced to Airbnb, the customer service center tells me the same response that I posted above (in 1.) Want to talk to higher-ups? Want to discuss compensation? NOPE! All they have to do is to repeat this same standard answer again and again until you give up and put down the phone!
So, that’s the tale of how I lost my refund and Airbnb lost a customer.
More Review Details
|Number of Destinations|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
What I liked
What I disliked
- No appeals process
- Customer trust and safety issues no customer protection exists
- Worst customer service ever
You May Also Like
- "Shared a rental with some friends in Kaaawa, HI. The reviews posted on the Airbnb site were highly inaccurate and did not reflect our experience. We now question their review..."
- "Airbnb too me for $1215 for a place in Brighton Beach Brooklyn to filthy and in secure enough to stay in! When I started the complaint Nicholas was very nice..."
- "I rented an apartment in Medellin, Colombia 2 months ago. I have been in contact with the owner of the apartment and Airbnb numerous times, each blaming the other, neither..."
- "Date:27 Jan 2016 (Wed) Dear Sir/Mdm, I am a shopper reside at Sembawang area near Sembawang Mart located at Canberra-Blk 511 Canberra Road.I reside and also a frequent shopper at this mart.To..."
- "Englander "Better Sleep, Better Fit" but have you ever wonder what will happen if the Mattress that you've chosen do not match you? Can we truly determine a mattress fit..."
- "Fedex sent a parcel that i ordered to me on 09/12/14 at 11.08am. As i was at work , i reached home at 1.30pm and tried to call the hotline...."
- "Purchased a huge 40 ounce Whitman's sampler today. It was around $40. We took it straight home and opened it up and over half of the pieces of chocolate were..."
- "Avoid this "storage bed" which lacks storage - Junk! This was one of the most disappointing furniture purchases we ever made. From the pictures and the descriptions, we expected a..."
- "No, I would not order ANY pillow made with memory foam. Cut up memory foam won't be any better than intact memory foam and PROBABLY A WHOLE LOT WORSE. The..."