I am a foreign student studying in Canada and used Airbnb for my 1 month holiday to USA, switching from one accommodation to another during the process. The host and the listings were fine in general, but Airbnb DOES NOT HAVE A COMPREHENSIVE MONEY REFUND SYSTEM.
During the trip, I had 2 bookings that were cancelled by the host, totaling up a refund of about $600. The cancellations were made early and did not cause me much inconvenience. However, the issue is that I had just finished my studies and closed my Canadian account before leaving for USA, hence the refund was made to a closed account. I thought that this is a small issue, since all Airbnb has to do is to retrieve the cash and transfer it to an alternative bank account. But how wrong can I be!
1. AIRBNB HAVE NO WAY OF RETRIEVING CASH THAT IS BOUNCED BACK TO THEM.The standard procedure for cash refund in Airbnb is this: "Your money can only be refunded to the account you used for the booking. Your bank will issue you a cheque if your account is closed." So No, you cannot refund your money to an alternative account that you didn’t use to make your original payment. And No, the bank does not always issue you a cheque. I have made numerous calls to the bank and found out that my bank’s policy on closed account is to bounced the money back to its source, and Airbnb has no way of retrieving this amount.
2. AIRBNB PROVIDES NO WAY OF COMMUNICATING WITH THE PEOPLE WHO DEALS WITH MONETARY TRANSFER/TRANSACTIONS.
The people in Airbnb customer service center knows very little about where your money flows to. All they know and can do is to give you standard replies to standard questions. When questioned about what happens to the money that gets bounced to Airbnb, the customer service center tells me the same response that I posted above (in 1.) Want to talk to higher-ups? Want to discuss compensation? NOPE! All they have to do is to repeat this same standard answer again and again until you give up and put down the phone!
So, that’s the tale of how I lost my refund and Airbnb lost a customer.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Number of Destinations|
What I liked
What I disliked
- No appeals process
- Customer trust and safety issues no customer protection exists
- Worst customer service ever
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We were cheated when we rented our apartment through airbnb to find the common area was being renovated paint stripped off the walls and the carpet ripped up The apartment is..."
- "My boyfriend's family and I booked a place in Brooklyn for 1 night. I gave the place a 1 star because it was absolutely disgustingly dirty (have photos for proof)...."
- "My nightmare with Airbnb started with a horrible event but really escalated when I tried to complain about it. I booked an airbnb to go to my friend's wedding in Ukiah...."
- "The alt-katolische Spitalkirche is one of the oldest Christian churches in Baden-Baden. It was first mentioned on the Spital legal instruments on March 1351. It was not far from the..."
- "I purchased tickets online and I was unable to return the tickets 1 hour before the show started. The website had an error and it did not allow me to..."
- "My wife and I were traveling and attempted to use the tv.xfinity.com feature - unfortunately, after logging in, I kept getting error when trying to play recordings/tv/ondemand/anything - I called..."
- "Appalling customer relations and lousy after sales experience with Europcar. Firstly, it took Europcar more than a month to give me a response on my authorisation charge inquiry, despite me..."
- "I purchased BP monitor from ali express seller (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6959301303.html?orderId=69693112533339) , and to my surprised the monitor is scratched and its doesn't look like new item also its no label as shown..."
- "Date:27 Jan 2016 (Wed) Dear Sir/Mdm, I am a shopper reside at Sembawang area near Sembawang Mart located at Canberra-Blk 511 Canberra Road.I reside and also a frequent shopper at this mart.To..."