Show reviews that mention
host money service customer service refund reservation place customer account phone
Filter review

Damages Are Yours

My sister and I rented a flat in SanFrancisco, hoping to save money on the cost of a hotel room. While the flat was clean, it was not fancy or expensively decorated. When we were getting ready to depart, I attempted to clean the surroundings, despite the fact you have to pay a cleaning fee on top of the rental rate. In cleaning a small spot off an upholstered ottoman (possible not one I had caused), the color on the burlap faded, leaving a ring and me out 200.00. Why wouldn't a host purchase insurance to cover minor damages from the profits they make renting their space? In this case, I paid, adding the cost of the rental for the week to far more than a hotel suite with microwave and frig. and other comforts of home. It came to far more, plust the hastle. Watch for these hidden costs in renting from Airbnb from hosts with no insurance.

Really? You damaged something and are upset that you had to pay for it? A hotel would do no less.

Please take responsibility for your actions. If you had stayed in a hotel you would have had to pay for your damages as well.

And in response to the other comment airbnb does not have insurance. It is almost never that they actually pay out the million dollar insurance that they advertise about.

As an AirBNB host, I wanted to let you know that we all have, through AirBNB, insurance against damages to our home. As AirBNB is the insurer, I'm sure they paid out to the host, and then they wanted to collect from you to make up their losses.

Your fight, then, is with AirBNB, not the host.

View more comments (2)
San Francisco, California

AIRBNB - BE WARE - NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE
Short recap of horrors. The host showed up 4 hours late to meet us and gain entry to the apt. We had spent $100+ in intl phone costs in trying to reach him (in addition to email confirmations' etc). It gets worse...once inside, the linens were filthy - yes - *** or blood on the sheets. We contact him - the next day, he came and changed the linens. Meanwhile, I spent the night sitting up on the couch w my count on - it was cold. The toilet was improperly installed - not sealed and water leaked out flooding the bathroom floor. The bathroom floor was not cleaned - filled with grit,sand. Only 2 towels provided - requests for addtl linens ignored. Contact "customer service" boy is that a euphemism/misnomer - and was advised to work things out with host. Host asked us to move into another apt so they could fix toilet. This apt had NO LINENS, did not have functioning TV, doors to deck had 1" crack on bottom allowing rain to flood into apt. Host did not respond to requests for help. Oh - this was advertised as a "luxury" apt with ocean views. Check on the jpg view of the construction cranes and let me know if you see the ocean, we certainly didn't. Contacted AIRBNB again for MoneyBackGuarantee and am being given a complete run around. Even though I have photos and email correspondance online to substantiate all of the above. In the process of elevating this to their executive management. Note this apt is in Tel Aviv 142027 - beware!
Flemington, New Jersey
Airbnb froze and confiscated my payout!
I took over a lease in Palo Alto, and per the advice of the previous resident, I decided to try airbnb. After 2 completed reservations, I noticed that my listing was being hidden from the search results (without being notified). Whats more, they decided to hold my $917...

Are you legally subletting?

San Francisco, California
Product
Airbnb Account

Booking with wrong price

I negotiated a carnival rental at my place got confirmation from airbnb???? ACCEPTED!!! (i assume this is a confirmation especially given that i was provided with person email address so we can dialogue regarding persons needs) for price $205 less than what i negotiated airbnb.com will have to pay me in full for price i listed in my email that they monitor i have emailed customer service emailed someone from events in brasil airbnb i met last year and tonight though i have larygitis called U.S> to resolve couldn't hear customer service rep said he would call me back didn't no resolution

HOST WRONGED--AirBnb LIED!

We are interior designers. We recently renovated our whole home and chose to rent it out while we were away on vacation--this was our first experience with AirBnb, but we had heard great things. Our guests were amazing! Truly, we could not have asked for better guests, EXCEPT . . . by accident, they left standing water on the lacquered wooden cabinet in the bathroom (the vanity). Any one knows what happens to lacquer on wood if you leave standing water on it--the lacquer buckles. That is exactly what happened. We sent photos of the buckled paint as well as the water spots left all over the cabinet to AirBnb and expected them to take our part--after all, they advertise that any damage to your home is covered by a big, fat insurance policy (and, in our case, a security deposit). They have now written to me 4 times, repeating the exact same information each time: this is "regular wear and tear" according to their "Terms of Service." I've read their "Terms of Service" up, down, left, and right . . . it never says that damage is the same thing as wear and tear. So you know--they don't let you talk to them on the phone. They send you emails that tell you if you don't respond within 48 hours, they'll consider the claim closed and they are condescending at best. I have asked them to explain the process by which they determine what wear and tear means v. damage, from a legal perspective and I have asked them to comment on WHY their guarantee does not apply here. So far, I have gotten no where. They had the nerve to say that they hope this experience won't prevent me from using AirBnb in the future. HA!!! Really? BEWARE--you are NOT protected against damage. You are entirely at their mercy--if they decide it's damage, you're golden, but if not--YOU PAY. This is, in my view, the worst kind of scam. The promise of protection. It's like when you pay for insurance and find out that when you have a problem, it's not covered (because you called on a Tuesday and on Monday the policy changed). You won't be renting our house through AirBnb, that's for sure. In addition, I'm going to find as many places to tell people about this as I can--you need to know. Be well. R

Did you know that a "lacquered wooden cabinet in the bathroom" shouldn't be there and isn't meant to be in a bathroom if you don't want water on it? Interior designers? I don't think so.

Did you know that the customer service is First Call Resolution and not Airbnb?

View more comments (1)
Flint, Michigan

Location Scam

Rented a place in Melbourne for $4,800. Got a receipt from AirBNB. It gave a city and postal code. Before arrival I discovered the owner used a false postal code and city. I contacted AirBNB and their response was "it's close enough". They agreed to a full refund via email. The next day I got a different email saying I would not get the refund. After dozens of emails and conversations they sent me a map from Google saying it looks close. I sent them the title of the property showing it was in a different town and another postal code. They didn't care. The owner then sued me in Australia. After getting a local attorney he dropped the case and admitted the location was incorrect. Made no difference to AirBNB. What a total scam. I blame myself as a little research about the company would have revealed how little they do. While I'm sure some have a good experience why risk your safety, your home to a company that really doesn't provide any real service.
Melbourne, Victoria
Loss
I read the last review and I am challenging Airbnb in court. I can tell you that I was a top five producer with Airbnb receiving over 230 positive reviews. They cancelled around 40 reservations without notice because of a very insecure little man named Monroe...

Huh, what? It is almost 2016. Nothing has happened except this company still sucks and for some ungodly reason they still exist.

Web site does not work

I tried to send a question to an AirBnB host before making a reservation. The web site would not let me proceed with any question or reservation without posting a photo. I do not post photos of myself, for privacy, and the company should offer an opt-out or an option to skip posting a photo. I could not get help either. So, I was unable to ask question or make any reservation, which is the business that AirBnb is supposed to be in. AirBnB was easy and pleasant when it started, but now it seems to have become one of those companies where you never encounter a human being or a telephone number.

I require an online photo and offer one of myself. While you cannot see all the bad things a person might have to offer from a photo, you can, however, see if the information you are being given matches up with the visual appearance.

For example, I once had a potential guest ask to stay with me who claimed he was in his 20s. The photo showed an gentleman who was at least as old, if not older, than my mother.

I'm not ageist and wouldn't have minded hosting him if he were 110 years old, but the fact that he is asking for my trust in opening up my home and putting at risk my safety when he cannot even be trusted to either list his correct birthdate or display his correct photo showed that this was not an equal exchange of trust.

Anonymous in Boston - Please take the time to consider the trust that you are asking of someone just like yourself, only with a guest room as those are the majority of the hosts on AirBNB. The website is a big corporate thing, but all that big corporate thing does is maintain a database. When you find a room that you like, you are looking at a room owned by a person who is just as protective of his or her privacy and safety as you are. Would you walk in to the home of someone that you only knew an online monicker of? I hope not. I hope you'd insist on some sort of identifying details.

So, while you might not be able to contact each and every host that you want, based on their preferences for putting a face with a request, I hope that you do offer some proof of identity or human personality in your requests and questions to those hosts you are able to contact.

To Anonymous from Boston. I am an airbnb host.

The way it works on airbnb is the host gets to determine how much information about themselves a guest has to include on his or her profile before the host will consider accepting them as guests. Many hosts require face pictures of the guests before they will consider taking a reservation from them. It might be silly or illogical because you can't judge a book by its cover, but it is reasonable to allow hosts the right to determine how they will determine whether they want perfect strangers staying at their place. They are not running hotels that have security.

You probably could not send a message to the host because that host required guests to have a picture posted. If you don't like it, you should go to a hotel. Nobody is forcing you to use airbnb.

And given that you are online complaining about the site because of that, makes me think you will have complaints about everything. You should probably just stay at a Holiday Inn.

Anonymous, to be honest, airbnb probably isn't for you. I host on airbnb, and the first thing I do when I get a reservation request is go look at the person's profile.

I want to see something about the person so I know who I'm allowing into my home. If a potential guest didn't have a photo, I'd assume they were brand new to the site, and I'd ask them to complete their profile including verifying their phone number and connecting to facebook or linkedin so I could be reassured they have SOME sort of online history that confirms they are who they say they are. (For the record: I can't see your phone number or full name until I've accepted a reservation from you, and I can't see your facebook or linked in profile even then. But your profile would indicate that you had verified your phone number and a facebook or linkedin account and it would list how many contacts you had on those accounts -- not a perfect way to 100% prove you are who you say you are as you could with some work probably set up dummy accounts and phone numbers, but it's reassuring to see that someone has a linkedin account with 120 contacts.) Ditto if a potential guest has a photo but no reviews yet -- I'd want to see they'd verified their accounts.

I'm inviting strangers into my home to sleep in the bedroom next to mine; it would be silly of me to just throw open the door to ANYONE.

If posting a photo online is more risk than you're comfortable with, I assume you also don't have a facebook or linkedin account. So you don't have any way to prove to a potential host that you are who you say you are, and you'd probably have a hard time getting reservation requests accepted.

@PissedConsumer572813

val you sound like an advertisement for Airbnb. You sound like you are working in PR, I believe it could br true as dishonest behavior is part of the root of what was wrong with Airbnb, i have a big surprise coming , saddle up boys and girls

@PissedConsumer572813

Val,can you somehow imagine that there are people who don't have a face book account,like me, or a linkedin what I don't even know what that is.

I'm new to airbrb and I too think that their varification is over the top.

You have my credit card info ,my SS,my address,my picture,I answered several question only I could know ,exchanged E-mails with the host,they run my CC and didn't gave my booking to the host till i also provide a 30 second video,that is over the top ,period!

View more comments (4)
ID
#351970 Review #351970 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Boston, Massachusetts

AIRBNB NIGHTMARE

I rented a location from AIRBNB for the month of September for a large chunk of money. When I arrived to the house the yard was overgrown with high weeds every where. The house appeared to be ok other than that, looked like it had been empty for a long time. Over the next few days I discovered that there were many issues with the house. Electrical issues, water issues, huge bugs, no curtains, full mattress on a queen box spring, inadequate furniture and I came to find out from the owner that the house was in pre-foreclosure. I immediately complained to the owner and AIRBNB. It took AIRBNB over a week to tell me that I didn't qualify for a refund. One agent stated they release the money to the owner after 24 hours and it would be impossible to get it back unless the owner agreed. The owner of course took the money and ran (literally she left town the day after we checked in). AIRBNB DOES NOT ADVOCATE FOR THE GUEST SO BEWARE. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD IN MY LIFE!!! DON'T RENT FROM AIRBNB FOR LONGER THAN A COUPLE OF DAYS OR THEY WILL HOLD YOUR MONEY HOSTAGE IF THERE ARE ISSUES!!!!!

I'll bet that Floridalvr.com is absolutely right about Mike L. I just read a previous review where a person named Val defended airbnb. There is at least one Val working for that company.

I would not be very surprised if Mike did work for Airbnb . The way he responded to his review is very much like the way Airbnb deals with their clients.

They do not take resposibility for being incorrect or apologetic, when they are wrong. Airbnb ignores the situation or attacks.

it is very much child like behavior. They have a PR side that follows all articles or reviews online to try to protect their astonishingly rude behavior, they follow it by googling AIRBNB .

Your complaints sound questionable to me. What do you mean by "water issues" and "electrical issues". You wanted a refund because there were weeds in the yard? A full sized mattress is only a few inches smaller than a queen sized box spring, and you think that is a real problem for a short term rental. I noticed that you didn't state how much you paid to rent the place.

Airbnb and holds the guest's money until the guest has stayed at the place for one night. That way the guest had ample opportunity to check the place out and complain to airbnb if it's not what was advertised. You obviously did not complain to airbnb about the weeds or the size of the mattress until after you had been there for at least one night. If you had arrived and called them to report that the place was not as advertised, they would have found you another place to stay or given you a refund.

Did you expect to be allowed to stay there and then get your money back because of your lame complaints? What a sweet deal that would have been for you.

And finally, your belly aching about the fact that the owner was in "pre-foreclosure" (whatever that is) is a joke. What do you care about the status of the owner's mortgage payments? You sound like the worst kind of whiner that looks for any excuse to complain in order to get something for nothing. Do everybody a favor and don't use airbnb ever again because you are the kind of guest that nobody wants.

@PissedConsumer577664

Mike, as a fellow AirBNB host, you and I seem often to be explaining how the system works on a lot of these posts. However, in this case it seems a bit ... unhelpful.

The take away is that you should pay for services used. If the guest stayed past the trial period (24 hours) without calling and asking to be booked into a new location, then the guest needs to honor the terms of his or her contract, which is to pay the agreed-upon price.

My question to those using the site as guests - as I have only used it as a host - is this: Is it made as clear to you that you have only 24 hours to investigate and complain? This is made quite clear to the hosts, but if it isn't to the guests, I can understand where this would be a significant source of frustration.

Telling AirBNB that a listing is inaccurate (such as the promise of a well manicured yard when met with overgrown vines or the promise of a queen bed when a full mattress was on a queen box spring) will result in disciplinary action from AirBNB against the individual host. I certainly hope that the OP reported all inaccuracies. If all hosts offer accurate statements of their properties, then we all win.

As for your questioning of what the electrical and water issues were, I'm sure the OP did the responsible thing and detailed them to AirBNB in a way that was less vague. The OP doesn't need to be this detailed to anyone but those directly involved.

This is true. They have NO protection or respect for the people who actually PAY to use their site.

I got ripped off on 2k a couple weeks ago. Disputing the charge through my credit card company now.

View more comments (4)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Service
Airbnb House Rental
Update by user Mar 29, 2012

Obviously it was to good to be true.

Original review posted by user Mar 29, 2012
This is a copy and paste below this paragraph. As a Host who was busy trying to learn a complicated business quickly. "Hospitality" and merge it with my personal aspiration's AirBnB platform looked to good to be true. I observed...

Hello,

I am also having major problems with a rather surrealistic situation with AirBnB.

I have used their service for at least 2 years. This year in particular there have been more requests, so the service was starting to be a good source of rentals.

I registered on AirBnB without supplying any ID or any other information other than my phone number, my bank account info. for payments and the address of the property.

This year, after noticing that it is possible to add another option of payment, I decided to add another bank account. It coincided with the beginning of a rental. Because I made this change of bank account, they thought I was some stranger or something, so they blocked the payment of the said rental.

I received the message requesting that I provide my ID and a photo of myself. Again, requirements that had not been made to date.

So immediately switched back to my old bank account and requested that the payment be made as all payments had been made as usual. They refuse to do this, but, strangely enough, they did pay the second rental after the one pending, to my old bank account.

So something here does not make sense at all. How can they block a payment for using an option of adding another method of payment? And furthermore, why request identifications that were not requested when I first registered?

I am hoping to get my pending payment soon, but I would appreciate any help if anyone knows a USA fraud office where I could get assistance about this situation.

Middletown, New York
Loss
I am looking for a place to stay in Los Angeles area this summer. I looked at vacation rentals on Craigslist, which led me too this website, AirBnB.com . Almost every ad on Craigslist led to this website. After finding a place I was interested in, I attempted to...

Up until some day ago I was a Superhost with AirBnB, no longer much to my regret, I loved hosting my great guests and still do. The reason of my leaving was mainly the Softwares User unfriendly Interface and the hardship in Contacting their user support site by phone, the lack of confirmation of price changes, their continued booking at old prices and other admin deficits, their good side for the host is their swift paying procedure.

Springfield, Missouri